HomeDLSU Business & Economics Reviewvol. 6 no. 1 (1994)

The Business Philosophy, Management Style, and Growth Strategies of Henry Sy, Sr.: A Case Study

Lydia B. Echauz

Discipline: Business, Entrepreneurship



The Overseas Chinese have had one of the most effective economic cultures in the world. Those in the Philippines are not much different. In the very recent past, they have changed the profile of the corporate scene. While they make up one percent of the population, they account for 35% of 66% of national sales, with the foreign-owned oil companies accounting for the remaining 34%.


Henry Sy, Sr. is one Overseas Chinese Filipino who has elicited special interest among the public, being one of the most renowned by name and economically powerful, and identified as one of the wealthiest, yet hardly known by it. He is reputed to be deliberately low-key and elusive to media and the public.


Businessmen, management professionals, especially finance experts, marketing specialists, and operations people have marveled at the growth of his enterprises.